The Purpose of My Website
My name is Karen, and, sadly, my Lyme story is all too common. Because I had not only worked in the medical field but also in the pharmaceutical industry, I thought I would have been well-informed about Lyme disease. It wasn’t until I personally experienced it, walking into a world that is highly misunderstood, that I realized how wrong I was. Even with this kind of work experience and the benefit of two degrees from an Ivy League Institution, I had many misimpressions. After discovering the truth, I decided that when I was well, I needed to become active in public awareness, education and advocacy so that others did not have to experience what I experienced.
I developed this website for similar reasons:
1) I want to share my journey so that if you are suffering with Lyme and you are feeling alone, you will know that you are not;
2) I want to provide information to you, a fellow Lyme sufferer, so that you can be informed and get the right kind of treatment; and
3) I want to point you to resources so that as you are coming out the other side, you are better equipped to enable change in your own community, wherever that might be.
5) I want to provide listings of reputable medical resources and conferences to you if you are a healthcare practitioner wanting to know more about diagnosing and treating this disease;
4) I want to use it for others to be able to donate towards my treatment so that I can come out on the other side as well.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I will provide you the answers or direct you to someone who can. Others did this for me when I was new to the Lyme world, and I want to do the same for you.
Most importantly, hold on to hope. Together we can work to bring an end to this dreaded disease.